Enjoy the View by Melissa-Photo Show

On August 12, 2012, I (Melissa) had the opportunity to present some of my photographs via a Photo Show at Poor John’s Café located in the west end of Toronto. This experience induced me various feelings-nervousness, excitement, and pride. I have taken photography as a hobby ever since I was a teenager. For the past decade, many people have complimented me and suggested that I showcase my work. Last year my sister (Michelle) gave me a nudge I needed. She heard of a café in the west end of the city that supported local artist. She spoke with the contact person (Erin, lovely warm person) that helps host the art shows. Michelle then proposed that I should display my pictures. The date was set and I went to work on framing the pictures I had chosen to display.
Through this process, I gained a new appreciation for artists and their investments in the work both emotionally and monetarily. It is not as simple as putting a picture in a frame. It is deciding what would best to show or predicting what people wanted to see. There was always doubt that would creep into my mind (will anyone like this?” or “maybe I should put that picture out instead”). I pushed the doubt aside and became ready to display my art photos. I was actually quite surprised by the strong sense of pride I felt after I saw the finished project of my art photos hanging for everyone to see! The day of the show turned out to be quite successful. My gratitude to those who attended is unending.
I would like to tell the readers what I discovered during this experience, is that one should go for one’s dreams without hesitation. We all have a bucket list. It’s our life’s to do list. We have an obligation to ourselves to intend to this list. Never underestimate or decline the support that comes your way. This support can come in many forms. For me, it came through a local business, a great group of friends and colleagues, as well as, wonderful family. I THANK THEM ALL!

Comments

Popular Posts