Going to the Zoo to say Goodbye

This weekend Wai and I went to the Toronto Zoo. This was Wai's first time and my second to go to the zoo as a winter/spring activity. It was brisk sunny day. I had heard from other people that visit the zoo at this time that the animals are more active in the colder weather. The cheetahs were very active! thy were held back for a while while the cheetah keeper prepare to have an audience with the visitor. Once release from there house, five cheetahs came running out to get there foods. These cheetahs were actually the cubs that have grown. Humphrey the polar bear that was born at the zoo has now return from his stay in Winnipeg. He left as a youngster but is now a full grown male. He and his family of polar bears were active unlike his relatives the grizzly bears who were still in hibernation. He stood up to receive his fruit treat. It was our treat to see him stand on his hind quarters to receive the food. Not all the animals were on display but that was always a negative. The giraffes could not be outside due to the colder weather but their were in the house. This gave the visitors a closer view of these majestic beasts. Wai was pleasantly surprised to get a close look at one of her favourite animals. This was a wonderful opportunity to really see the height of these truly gigantic animals. Even though there were many animals not on display, there were many more you could still observe in their replicated habitats. In all my fifty years of visiting the zoo, I had never heard any of the big cats roar. This time I was able to heard the tiger roar. Not just a couple of times but several outbursts. It must have been at least 30 seconds of continual roaring- WOW!!! Even the white lions seemed a bit more active. Usually when I visit the zoo in the summer, the animals actual lying down in the shade. This time they seemed to have more energy. They would move around in their compounds instead of lying in one spot. The main reason for our us coming to the zoo was to say good-bye to the Giant Pandas. These visitors from China will be leaving tomorrow ( March 18th, 2018). They have been a favourite animal experience of mine since their arrival in March  2013. I remember the excitement of the birth of their twin cubs in October 2015. I did try to see when they were first introduced to the public. However at that time, it was a three hour wait to see the youngsters. That did not work for me because i could spend the three hours looking at the other animals. When I did finally get a chance to see them, they were always sleeping. In fact over the past two years, I would rarely see them not sleeping. I thought why not take a chance and go to give my farewell to these animals I love so much. We got to the zoo early and went straight to the Panda Experience. There wasn't a line so we were able to walk right in. My heart sunk a little when the father Panda was fast asleep in his compound. We walked over to the out door viewing area. Hooray! The mother and her youngsters were awake an grazing on the bamboo. Instead of seeing closed eye, they had their eyes wide open as they ate. The one cub (actually they are 1 1/2  years old now and big!) even walked along the structures in their outdoor enclosure to sit on the hammock to continue eating the bamboo.
They did not disappoint. Even after we had finish touring the zoo, I asked Wai if we could visit the pandas one last time if there was not long line up. We got there about thirty-five minutes before the exhibit would be closed. This time the father was wide awake in his compound. I watched him for a
while then silently gave my farewell wishes. We then walked over to the other outdoor compound. The three Giant Pandas were still eating (it is what pandas do for the majority of the day). Once some of the people moved i was able to see these beloved creatures once more. As I watched them, I whispered good-bye and thanked them for all the moments (sleeping or awake) they had shared with me. I will miss them.

Melissa



 

Comments

Popular Posts