Textured History

  Many of us know Ontario landscape is rich with history we learn from heritage learning venues such as family stories, books, the internet, and city cultural events. Thelma Bob Clan enjoys learning of our Canadian History in particular the province of Ontario. We make an effort to go such events called “Doors Open” that are held by the cities in Ontario. 
  As much as I enjoy hearing about the events or certain individuals that made Ontario what it is today. I secretly hope to find places that have yet not been restored or renovated. I want to see the texture of the original stones, brick, wood, paper and the fabric that weaved the history of the place and a sense of people who lived there. I lust for authenticity of the structure or place. Don’t misunderstand me; I enjoy the restoration of a house or room or a piece of the furniture, Thelma Bob Discoveries main purpose is to renovate or re purpose items. But I have been lucky to come across a few places or sections of the dwelling where it has not been restored. My heart beats faster and my eyes become larger trying to absorb every inch of what I am seeing. I want to embrace the essence of one’s time in life and make it valid today by recognition and understanding. I want to say it out loud “I see what you have done and it is still here for us to see”. 
  During this posting I came across an interesting article that expresses my love for re purposing/renovating without completely removing of what it once was. Visit www.inhabitat.com and search for 200 year old stone structure. This 200 year old stone structure is in Switzerland and they did renovate the interior in a minimalist design. The designer kept the exterior to its original appearance. I enjoy creative designers who embrace the original elements of wood, stone, fabric and sometimes metal of the structure. They are able to see what I see texture and history. 


The image above is layers of antique wallpaper from Barnum House in Grafton Ontario. The house dates back from the mid 1800's. In the 1800's wallpaper was a symbol of wealth. I stood admiring it for half an hour this tiny section of the house looking at the each wallpaper colour and design in great detail.


This is St. George Anglican Church in Gores Landing Ontario. The stone texture of this lovely church was built in 1908 by the men of the church from stones found in the area. As I ran my hands across the structure imagining the energy of each man spent in building it and the sense of accomplishment the men had once completed.


I found this one of the most exciting experience of bare to bone structure hidden underneath in another structure. This image is from an antique bakery found below a basement of a building in Belleville Ontario. The bakery found below a building built in 1825. The building housed a bookstore called Greenley's which itself has history. The bookstore has since been closed 2013. I find it hard to put in words the feeling I had but it was dark and musty and amazement of recovering a structure buried on top another. I consider myself lucky to be able to see it with my own eyes.

Greenley Bookstore 2013
The two images below are from the 200 year old stone structure in Switzerland. I thought to add them to represent how the marriage of old and new could create a unique space. If ever I get the chance I would love to see this with my own eyes.

Exterior Of Dwelling in Switzerland via Inhabitat.com
Interior Of Dwelling in Switzerland via Inhabitat.com
Michelle Richardson-Contributor

Comments

Popular Posts